The 'F' family notimated the 'S' family. Here is the letter she wrote
"Hi Sarah!
It's very ironic that you posted this giveaway today because I have the perfect family that NEEDS to be photographed!
Here's the story...
My good friend, S, relocated here from Sweden two years ago with her husband and two sons. Their immediate family still resides in Sweden and Greece. Last summer S found out that she was pregnant... With her third son! 3 weeks before the baby was due she found out that her oldest son Jacob had leukemia. He is six years old. So S spent the last few weeks of her pregnancy living at Children's Hospital. The importance of her birth plan went out the window as she learned about chemotherapy, radiation, blood transfusions, platelet counts, etc. Family flew into town to support Jacob, care for Simon (the four year old brother) and to help with the new baby. Having a baby is rough enough and now she is spending all her energy worrying about Jacob.
Unfortunately, when she went into labor with Lucas, daddy D was not able to be there for the birth. He was taking Jacob into the hospital for a treatment. So her brother-in-law was her bedside support! I was able to visit her in the hospital a few hours later and I took a few pictures with my camera phone.
Today (before I heard about your giveaway) I asked her if she has taken or printed any pictures of the baby or if she had a baby book for him. She sadly said no. So I offered to print the silly camera phone pictures that I had. Since the baby's birth she has spent 5 days a week at the hospital. Not a very happy place to take pictures of her new baby. Jacob's diagnosis is still new and they are just learning to survive day to day.
I think she would be really touched to get some professional photographs! I am not sure if she would want just pictures of baby Lucas or brother pictures. I don't know how she would feel to have pictures of Jacob with his bald head and feeding tube in his nose.
I hope this works out for S! I would rather her and another needy family get pictures rather than my family. Pay it forward!"
My heart broke reading this - I looked at my children - both healthy and strong, vibrant and energetic and I imagined finding out that one of them had a life-threatening disease. Then I imagined doing this while heavily pregnant and birthing alone knowing my child was in chemo.
The hospital visits, the exhausting marathons of chemotherapy, the vomoting, the emtional toll...plus a newborn and active 4 year old.
BUT this family has not let it beat them. They are an example of STRENGTH, HOPE, UNITY, COURAGE and UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.
I spent 2 1/2 hours with them - we chatted and I photographed their family. I asked them how they cope with it all - Momma S told me that they take turns having time out - that they recogize that they cant do it all, all of the time so she and D take turns to go for walks or take a bath to re-energize.
And I was so pleased to hear of the amazing support they have had from neighbours and friends - how people have rallied to clean the house, make meals and look after the kids...
So now I want to introduce you to this sweet family.

This is Lucas - he is such a happy contented baby. S said he has been a source of strength - a reason to get out of bed in the morning. He is their light :)

And Simon - what a character - he was so funny and a typical 4 year old :) Pure enjoyment in a little package.

And Jacob - there is something so strong about the way he moves - though weak in body, he looks at you with those huge blue eyes and you know he is doing all he can to beat this horrible disease. He is not bitter about it - his focus is on being well.

This is S and D - though things are tough they are still very much in love. I couldnt believe how they spoke about each other - how the other one is the source of strenth through the tough times...they have true unity - they are in the together.

yep, together (and btw. aren't they a gorgeous pair??)

I was so blessed by spending time with this family - I was blessed beyond words doing this Pay It Forward session for them. I wish them all the best and will be praying for Jacob's full recovery.
I will be doing another Pay It Forward giveaway soon!!
No comments:
Post a Comment