Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pay It Forward - the winner

I never thought this giveaway would be so hard for me. I have always been a 'people person' - I guess it is one of the things that makes me good at my job (the fact that I know how to use my camera aside). I love P-E-O-P-L-E - the relationships I can capture - the pure joy, the warmth of being together, silly giggles, sleepy snuggles...I love people.

I thought that choosing a winner would have somehow been easier...I was obviously delusional as 2 weeks after the giveaway closed, I am finally getting up the courage to announce who won. I haven't wanted to face choosing only one - some of the stories have made me laugh...some of them gave me an 'awwwwww' moment...some of them have made me cry - some even made me REALLY cry - like ugly cry - and I don't even know who the people in the story are.

The love and encouragement you wrote in your stories inspired me - inspired me to look for the best in people, to appreciate the little things and take time to just love on my friends and family - the importance of the important things.

So I thank you for writing to me your stories - stories of hope, of loss, of tragedy, of kindness, of sickness and of love. I am so blessed to have read each and every one of them.

How can I choose only one? It is silly really - most of the nominated families don't even know they were nominated - but I feel like I am letting them all down if they aren't chosen. Silly aye :)

Well, after much thought, prayer and more thoughts...I came up with a winner.

Their story is one of great joy in amongst great pain and sickness. I related to their family on a personal level as they (like me) immigrated from the US and so their struggle is shared with their friends because their family support is so far abroad. Their struggle involves the joy of a new baby in amongst finding out one of their other children had leukemia...and are now in the throws of dealing with everything this awful disease has to offer - with a newborn and toddler on the side...

It didn't matter how many other stories I read (and there were 18 submissions), I kept coming back to this family. With their permission, I would one day love to share their full story with you.

But for now, I want to thank J Fornia for sharing this family's story with me. I can't wait to offer this pay it forward session to this family.

Now, as there are many families I didn't pick to be the winner, please don't be disheartened - it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy your story, or feel like the family you nominated wasn't deserving. As a thank you for taking part, I would love to offer each family (both the nominated and nominator) a $50 gift certificate towards any session of your choice. I will email these to the nominator family and you are welcome to pass it on to the family you nominated as I don't have their personal details.

Again, I was so touched by the stories told through this PIF giveaway. I am thinking of making this a regular event with SSP - and hopefully the more times I do it, the quicker I will be at choosing a winner. :)

Go and hug someone, buy a stranger a coffee, pat a dog, leave a 30% tip...whatever you do, just do a little more and pay it forward.

1 comment:

B. Miller said...

Don't underestimate how much you yourself spread the same inspiration of love and appreciation, strictly by what you share and how you share it in your blog. You are truly special, Sarah, and I think you keep all of us followers a bit more cognizant of the important things - both through your words AND your photographs. Thank you!